Full Pull Walla Walla Cabernet Deal

Hello friends. Quick offer today, as our dear friend Kenny Hart has offered us a time-limited deal on the remaining parcel of a peak-drinking Walla Walla Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (note: there’s a bonus white, also with a nice discount; see the bottom of the offer):

2009 Tulpen Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley

We originally offered this wine more than two years ago, in April 2013 (if you don’t know the Tulpen story, see that original offer, which has all the details). What has changed since then:

1. [TEXT WITHHELD].

2. At the time of original offer, the wine was unreviewed. Now it has a nice review from Sean Sullivan: Washington Wine Report (Sean Sullivan): “[REVIEW TEXT WITHHELD]. Rating: **** (Excellent).”

3. Two more years in bottle, which have only made this wine more lovely. Here’s what we said back in 2013: What is noteworthy about this Cabernet are the densely-packed layers of fruit aromatics. There is plenty of cassis and cherry and berry, but also fruits that are more exotic for Cabernet: peach and papaya and melon. The core of fruit is ultra-impressive, and it’s swaddled in grace notes of dust and earth and eucalyptus. The palate is much more dense and brooding than the Coalesence. I’d drink Coalesence a bit younger, while waiting for this one’s tightly-packed fruit to emerge from behind its walls of mineral and structure. If most of the Walla Walla Valley Cabs you’ve been drinking have been predominantly from Pepper Bridge and Seven Hills, this presents an entirely different profile of Cabernet from the valley.

Well, those walls of structure are beginning to yield, and the maturing fruit is emerging beautifully. This offers a terrific sense of extract and concentration, power and grace. It’s a wonderful example of generous warm-vintage winemaking, a delicious Cabernet still with years ahead of it. I tasted it just last week and found it terribly seductive.

It also comes from a trio of valley vineyards rarely seen in bottle: 62% comes from two dry-farmed sites that Kenny manages in the Mill Creek drainage (Tokar and Yellow Bird), and the remaining 38% is Heather Hill. Yes, the Heather Hill that is Abeja’s estate site. Yes, the one that forms the impossible to source Abeja Heather Hill Cab.

Basically, Kenny has a handful of cases left, and he wants to see it all disappear (hence the price drop). Our deal is: our list members have dibs for about a week. We’ll need to place our order with Kenny eight days from now (June 15), so please try to have all order requests in by the evening of June 14, one week from today. If our list has demand for all the wine, we get all the wine. If not, I suspect plenty of other accounts will jump at the chance to source peak-drinking Tulpen Cab on discount.

2012 Tulpen Cellars Vino Blanc Los Oidos Vineyard

And a bonus white! Excerpts from that original offer:

Tulpen’s first white; how exciting! Given Kenny’s penchant for white Burgundy, I would have guessed he’d make a Chardonnay. Instead he’s gone the white Rhone route, with a blend of 45% Marsanne, 33% Roussanne, 11% Viognier, 9% Picpoul, and 2% Grenache Blanc. It’s essentially a field blend, as all the grapes were harvested from Los Oidos Vineyard on the same day and were then cofermented together and aged in 100% new French oak. Total production is 100 cases.

This is a newer vineyard, 15 acres planted in 2009 in the foothills of the Blue Mountains at 1100’, in between Les Collines and Morrison Lane (two outstanding vineyards). It’s mostly planted to red varieties, but it’ll be a few years before we see those wines. In the meantime, we have this lovely white, which begins with a nose of almond and walnut, nectarine and orange, and lovely Viognier floral/ginger topnotes. What you notice right away with this wine is the texture, conveying a real sense of glycerol fullness that is evocative of a silky red wine. The creaminess seems impossible given the moderate (12.5% listed) alcohol, but there you have it. For lovers of generous, fleshy whites (or of new vineyard projects), this is a must-try.

Review of Washington Wines (Rand Sealey): “[REVIEW TEXT WITHHELD] 19/20pts.”

Please limit order requests to 36 bottles total (mix and match as you like), and we’ll do our best to fulfill all requests. The wines should arrive in the next few weeks, at which point they will be ready for pickup or shipping during the next temperature-appropriate shipping window.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: